For any business to be a success you need to know what works and what hinders that success. There are many factors that contribute to a successful car wash business. There are also certain pitfalls that you need to watch out for as you proceed. Running a car wash business can be very competitive, but also stressful in many ways.
7 Things to Avoid When Running a Car Wash Business
- Don’t start your business with ordinary standard equipment. Using state-of-the-art equipment will attract much more business to your car wash. The more you have to offer, the more likely you will reap those valuable repeat customers.
- If your car wash takes longer than 18 minutes, your customers will likely find another car wash where they don’t have to wait long. People want a great car wash that can be done in a timely manner.
- Don’t expect huge profits. You’ll need to wash a lot of cars to make a profit. Good weather conditions are great for a car wash business, but a long streak of inclement weather brings business to a screeching halt. You must learn to manage and balance your finances through the feasts and the famines.
- Don’t expect people to simply discover your car wash. Don’t underestimate the power of carefully planned advertising in print, radio, and even TV. Maximize your advertising expenses to encourage customers by offering specials at key times of the seasons. Get to know what tactics work the best and maximize those techniques.
- Avoid hiring untrained and inexperienced staff. Your employees need to know the business and understand what makes customers happy. Train your personnel well, and consider giving them a percentage of the profits which is a great incentive to keep them motivated and loyal to you.
- Avoid neglecting regular maintenance on your equipment. Leaky valves and joints can become costly as you lose precious water and cleaning solutions down the drain, thereby cutting down on your profits. A small water leak could end up wasting over 2000 gallons of water a year!
- Avoid thinking that a car wash business is simple and can be run without any experience. On the contrary, a successful car wash must be well planned, thought out, and implemented utilizing the latest strategies and technologies. It is critical to research and do your homework to find out the best ways to make a successful business, and having both a long-term and short-term plan.
Most important of all to remember is that your success is based on numbers. You have to come up with a figure for your potential income. Examine all the expenses involved with both profits and losses. This will give you an idea of the value of your car wash business. Car washes are sought after because of the fact that they are easy to manage and because they are mostly based on cash revenue.